Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Book Club


It's a bit windy today for a walk, so I settled down this morning with my new book...



...from my KidLit Book Club.

This is the simplest of clubs (the way clubs should be) and that's why it works so well.  

Our club has been in existence for over ten years and at least 2/3 of the dozen or so members have been there since the beginning.

The year starts in September with each member choosing and purchasing one book.  We connect through email to ensure no duplicate titles and usually aim to get a newish book that we don't think anyone has read.  If someone has read a book, however, it's no big deal. Our particular club focuses on children's literature, but any theme would work.

Meetings are held the first Thursday of each month, September - June.  We take turns hosting.  At the first meeting, titles are recorded in an old notebook - this is NOT a high-tech club!  We decide on a rotation order for the books (I always receive from Pauline and pass along to Catherine) and the books begin to circulate. 

I get to keep each book for one month, then pass it along to the next member.  Sometimes life gets busy and I don't have a chance to read a book - no pressure - I just pass it along at the end of the month.  

The person hosting the monthly meeting gets to choose a theme: book ideas for Christmas gifts; books that evoke good memories; gardening books, etc.  An email is sent out to remind people of the meeting location and share the theme.  If I have a few books that fit that month's theme, I'll bring them along for the "show and share" that starts the "meeting".  Random conversations about other books we've been reading or hope to read, etc, usually happen next. The host provides wine, tea and something yummy to eat.  

And that's it!  No fees, dues, complicated rules, just good books to read and share... my kind of club!





No comments:

Post a Comment