Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Apple Pancake! A treat from the "Pancake House" (Winnipeg)

"Pancake House" Apple Pancake

Aaahhh! The benefits of decluttering!

It's a bit like Christmas around here... I'm finding all kinds of things, including this clipping I cut out of the Winnipeg Free Press a number of years ago. 

We've tried this treat twice and I've now recorded it in my “book”, so it's an official “keeper”.

As a recipe, it gets a number of checkmarks. First, I generally have all the ingredients on hand! It's quick to assemble and throw in the oven. And, paired with some sausages, it's something a little different for breakfast or brunch.

Pancake House” Apple Pancake

2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven (400ºF); melt butter in a large, glass pie plate.
Swirl butter around plate to grease.

2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 thinly sliced, peeled apple

Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over melted butter.
Arrange apple slices on top.

2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix batter ingredients and pour over apple.
Bake for 25 – 30 minutes (puffy, deep golden brown).
Loosen edge of pancake and turn upside down on plate.
Serves 3-4 if used as a side.

Notes: I have not tried this, but it says you can triple the recipe. Use a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.


3 comments:

  1. OH! That looks and sounds delicious. I don't think we have Pancake Houses in the US -- we have IHOP - International House of Pancakes - but I've never seen anything like that before! Like you said -- I have everything already in the kitchen and I am betting Amara would love to help make this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on Amara's Easter dinner assistance, she's a Super Chef in training! If you do try this, let me know how it worked. I had a very interesting chat with a friend who winters in AZ. She was commenting on how flour (US/Canada) makes a huge difference when she bakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maggie! Amara and I did make this for breakfast this morning and I plan to do a post (with pictures!) and a link back to you. We had a blast! I will send you the link.

    ReplyDelete