Wednesday, November 7, 2012

# 61 Kids in the Kitchen


Reading about Amara and her grandmother baking brought back fond memories yesterday.  

When our children were young, we had a good supply of kid cookbooks.  Not only was it quality, family "bonding" time, there were many memorable "good friends, good times" occasions and triumphs such as First Prize for a Little Mermaid cake (16 bottles of food colouring!!) at our local fair. 

Cookbooks also taught my kids how to read.  Wanting to figure out a recipe was super motivation!  

If you're looking for some kid-friendly recipes (that don't require 16 bottles of food colouring!), check out SparkPeople.  

Happy cooking!

Tips, Tricks and Treats to Teach Kids to Cook

Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen? No Such Thing!

-- By Sarah Haan, Registered Dietitian


3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for linking to our post! I remember one of the very first books that I ever bought for myself (2nd grade book fair) was a cookbook! I still have it!

    Cooking with kids is the best! Thanks again for visiting me and Amara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am a fan of "Amaraland!" I agree with you both that cooking with kids not only makes lasting, loving memories, but it teaches skills, too. I still have the first cookbook I got for Christmas when I was about 10 years old. It was a Betty Crocker with the red gingham cover. I loved having it, it made me feel very grown up!
    You have a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I'm a little jealous of you both. At six months, my little sweetie pie is still too young to join me in the kitchen, but I'm looking forward to having a little helper. : )

    ReplyDelete