Monday, March 3, 2014

A little crocheting...polka dots!!


Good morning!

It is so cold here! I'm tucked up inside, watching TV and playing with the yarn left over from my Maybelle afghan project.

First, let me just say that if you have Netflix, check out Endeavour, a PBS Masterpiece Mystery. It's a prequel, featuring a young Inspector Morse. I was so disappointed when I realized it was just a Mystery movie instead of a series.

For something a little scarier, watch another British mystery show, The Bletchley Circle. There are 7 shows in all (45 minutes each). Four women who worked as decoders during WWII regroup in 1952 to solve some murder mysteries! Good stuff!

Anyway, back to my yarn basket! After making some little hearts to hang on a branch – a little bit of Valentine prettiness – I thought I'd replace the hearts with some polka dots. These little circles took only a few minutes each to crochet.

Here's how...

You need:
3.50 mm hook (US size E/4; UK/Canadian 9)

Variety of Medium (4) yarn...I used Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand (aqua, magenta, cranberry, kelly green, antique pink, dusty purple, beige, colonial blue) and Impeccable by Loops & Threads (fern)

Directions:
Using first colour, chain 3, then sl into first chain.
Chain 1.
Maggie's Polka Dots
* sc, ch 1 * seven times
* sc in next 2, ch 1 * until circle is two inches in diameter.
Finish by darning in tails.

Using second colour, sc around outer edge of circle. Tie yarn loosely in a knot, leaving 4-inch tails.

Note: As you single crochet, hook yarn through back side of stitch. This will create a spiral pattern.

I'm not experienced at writing directions. I hope you can understand my notes!!

Cheers,
Maggie



2 comments: