Monday, April 8, 2013

Smoothie Experiments


So, I have a new toy...

On the weekend I purchased a Magic Bullet...Deluxe!!

I admit, a bit of an impulse purchase, but we're heading into "smoothie" season and my blender had bit the dust.

Wanting just a basic "blend and drink" smoothie machine, I first checked Canadian Tire, but then I upgraded for about five dollars more and picked up my Deluxe version at Costco.  

Why not a new blender?  The smallness of the Magic Bullet was appealing as I have limited counter space.

I tried two experiments today...a traditional smoothie...pretty, pink, tasty...

Strawberry Banana Smoothie

1/2 banana
2 strawberries
1/4 cup raspberry yogurt
1/4 cup orange juice

Blend.  Drink.

I also tried a veggie smoothie...not so pretty, lumpy, and very brown... : ( 

IT WAS TASTY, HOWEVER, and definitely healthy, but I realize now, choosing colours carefully is an important aspect of making a smoothie!!

Veggie Smoothie, Version #1
(probably never to be repeated again, but a lesson learned)

1/2 cup last night's salad with light vinaigrette
(spinach, daikon, craisins, cabbage slaw)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
5 cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup orange juice

Blend.  Drink.

So, who has a tasty veggie smoothie recipe (that's not quite so brown!!!) to share?

Happy Monday,
Maggie



1 comment:

  1. I love smoothies but I will stick to the fruit kind! I also LOVE salad. I will pick a restaurant for it's salad over the meet every time and I love a good salad bar BUT! I have to be honest -- the idea of putting my salad from last night into a blender just doesn't sound appealing! Can't wait to see what you DO come up with!

    ReplyDelete