Thursday, March 14, 2013

St. Patrick's Day Potato Bread (FADGE)


St. Patrick's Day Potato Bread
Oh, my!  St. Patrick's Day is just around the corner!  Rather than bright green cupcakes or Irish stew, here's an inexpensive, easy and truly Irish side dish for a St. Patrick's Day brunch.

To set the stage, let's back up a year... or two... or three! 

Born in Northern Ireland, I was just a young girl when I emigrated to Canada.  My mother was in charge of the kitchen and all things domestic, but it was my dad who would make a "fry" on the weekend.  Sausage, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, even bananas would be fried up.  When he felt particularly energetic, he would also make potato bread.  Hot off the pan with butter melting on top - delicious! 

A "recipe"?  No such thing.  We'd sit in the kitchen and watch as Dad boiled up potatoes, mashed them thoroughly with butter and a bit of salt and then kneaded in enough flour to make a dough.

Needing a bit more than that, I consulted my mother's Form VI Domestic Science notebook.  (LOL, you may remember when I shared from this notebook once before: "How to Efficiently Run Your Home".)

Potato Bread

1/2 pound potatoes (2-3 Russet potatoes)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 ounce butter (1 tablespoon)
2 ounces flour (1/2 - 3/4 cup)

Peel and boil potatoes.
Mash potatoes smoothly.
Add salt and melted butter and mix together.
Work in as much flour as the potatoes will take up.
Roll out thinly, cut into triangles.
Bake on hot griddle on both sides until nicely browned.

Notes:  No lumps allowed when mashing those potatoes!! : )  I added some of the flour when the mashed potatoes were still in the pot, then kneaded in more until I had a workable dough. Roll your dough quite thin - about 1/4 inch thick.  Using a non-stick pan means no fat needed.  Bake about three minutes a side.  Keep warm in oven.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Maggie

Have you checked out Weekend Potluck # 58?
There are some yummy recipes there this week!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds wonderful! I love to cook but I am one of those who needs a recipe!

    ReplyDelete