Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Nutrition for Seniors



Our family is in a bit of upheaval right now.  Grandmother, who is 88, very independent and stubborn is coming home today after a spell in hospital.  Yes, she's fine, but we are going to have to seriously address the whole support services topic to make sure she can remain healthy and safe in her home.

Did I mention she's extremely stubborn?!?!

Nutrition is a big concern so I've been reading up on this topic...

Senior Nutrition and Diet Tips is one of the best articles I've read so far.  

It discusses physical changes...

...sense of thirst declines.
...metabolism slows.
...you generate less saliva 
...your taste and smell senses don't work as well (you lose salty and bitter tastes first)
...your stomach produces less gastric acid (affecting vitamin absorption)
...your digestive system slows down
...medications and health issues often negatively affect sense of taste and appetite

I thought I knew a lot about good nutrition, but learning more about the specific needs of seniors has opened my eyes wide!

Back to my research!

No comments:

Post a Comment