Tuesday, May 7, 2013

When life gives you lemons... Summertime Lemonade (sugar reduced)


No worries!

But, if you have a whole bag of lemons...

and it's 27 ° C outside...

then you NEED to make lemonade!

Normally, when on my own, I'll add a splash of lemon juice to a glass of either plain or sparkling water.  I've even experimented with some other water options.

But, "traditional lemonade"?  Hmmmm...

After reading numerous recipes and this excellent article at The Kitchen, I thought there has to be a less sweet option.  A ratio of 1 cup sugar to six cups of liquid is A LOT of sugar!  I did like the suggestion for adding ginger though.  Here's my version.  Hope you like it.

Summertime Lemonade
(reduced sugar)

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons thinly sliced ginger

Boil for two minutes. Cool.

juice from 3 lemons (about 1 cup)
6 cups water

Add to syrup mixture.  
Stir and chill.
Stir well before serving.


Today's quote...

Summer is like a fresh glass of lemonade.
You want to drink it fast, but you want it to last forever.
- Susan Gale

Cheers!
Maggie

1 comment:

  1. It does look delicious. I have never been a big fan of lemonade. It always leaves a funny after taste -- but I should try yours!

    ReplyDelete