Friday, October 18, 2013

You Were the First by Patricia MacLachlan




Before I tuck it away, I just want to share a children's book I purchased recently in Ottawa.  I chose this book for one of my granddaughters.  She's expecting a little brother in December and this book, I'm sure, was written just for her!

You Were the First is a brand new (2013) picture book written by Patricia MacLachlan and illustrated by Stephanie Graegin.  Patricia MacLachlan has published many books over the years, including Sarah, Plain and Tall which won the Newbery Medal in 1986.

This heart-warming story reminds a firstborn of all the special "firsts" a family enjoys...

"You were...

... the first to smile.

... the first to lay your head on our shoulders to sleep.

... the first to bundle up in the red snowsuit and make snow angels.

... the first to teach us how to be parents."

What a lovely snuggle time a parent and child could enjoy as  they read this story and remember all their own "firsts"!!

Best of all, the book finishes with a gentle reassurance: 

"One day there may be a second - or a third - to sleep in the basket with the yellow ribbon wound round. But you will always be the first."

I can't wait to give this book to a very special "first" grandchild in my life!

Happy reading,
Maggie





No comments:

Post a Comment